|View of Calcutta - 1880's (source eBay)|
|Esplanade area in the old times.|
|View of Calcutta from Esplanade, a old post card image|
|Esplanade Row (East) in the nineteenth century, a painting by Allom T.|
|Esplanade Mansions, Calcutta|
|Esplanade Row in 1878. source - British Library|
(Esplanade Row contained many of Calcutta's impressive public buildings including the High Court, Town Hall and Government House)
|An old photograph taken in the year 1903 somewhere in Calcutta showing four Britishers in a car.|
|Firpo's Restaurant in Chowringhee.|
|An old lunch menu dated Friday, the 30th March, 1945 of Firpo Ltd Caterers.|
|Street scene - buffalo carts.|
|Side street (today's Bentinck street), north of tram terminus, 1944|
|Bentinck Street -1945|
|Harrison Road (today's M G road), Calcutta - 1910|
|Fort William and Red Road, Calcutta - 1870|
|Esplanade (also known as Dharamtala street), Calcutta|
|Native Street Scene, Harrison Road, Calcutta.|
|Tank near Camac Street and Burial Ground Road Crossing, Calcutta( 1858-61)|
The road Camac Street was named after William Camac, a senior merchant in the days of Lord Cornwallis and Lord Wellesley.
Burial Ground Road is now known as Park Street.
|A poor cripple's ox-cart, Calcutta in the 1900's.|
|A typical early morning scene in Burial Ground Road( Park Street) probably in the 1930's or 40's.|
|Street scene. Cows, dogs are commonly seen household animals on the streets, even today.|
|Harrison Road view probably in the late 60s.|
|Small Cause Court, Calcutta 1878|
|Old court house street near Esplanade, Calcutta. probably in the late 1920s.|
|Clive Street, Calcutta - 1890|
|Vintage photo of Howrah Station probably in the year 1943.|
|An overview image of Howrah Station in the early 1940's.|
|A distant view of old Writers Building taken before the Dalhousie Institute was built within Dalhousie Square.|
The foundation of Dalhousie Institute was laid on 4th March, 1865.
|Street scene showing a traffic police standing with an umbrella in the centre on Chowringee Road in front of Whitewaw and Laidlaw & Co Ltd in the year 1944.|
|Native Calcutta Traffic police in the old times.|
|View of Writers Buildings - 1905|
|Zoological Gardens (today's Alipore zoological gardens) in the old times.|
|Street near Great Eastern Hotel in the year 1945 showing two cars.|
|Great Eastern Hotel Calcutta, India Luggage Label ca.1920|
|Council House Street, Calcutta in the mid nineteenth century.|
See the Great Eastern hotel on the right.
|Kalighat Temple (Kalighat Kali Temple is a Hindu Temple dedicated to the Hindu Goddess Kali. It is the one of the 51 Shakti Peethas.) in the year 1932.|
|Pahawallah (Indian Policeman), Calcutta|
|Calcutta High Court in the year 1860.|
The High Court building is an exact replica of the Cloth Hall, Ypres, in Belgium.
|Calcutta High Court in the year 1905.|
|Old Picture of Calcutta High Court from Life Archive hosted by Google. Exact date and photographer is unknown.|
|Calcutta High Court - 1890|
|Bally Bridge (Vivekananda Setu). maybe in the year 1945.|
|Maidan in 1870s; 143 yrs old view|
|BBD Bag (Dalhouse Square) in 1920.|
|Shyambazar, Calcutta in the past.|
|Grand Hotel (now called The Oberoi Grand) in the 1940's on Chowringhee Road.|
|Grand Hotel advertisement in the 1940's.|
|GRAND HOTEL, Calcutta India April 19, 1946 Program for Dancing Dining Wining.|
|Victoria House (Headquarters of the Calcutta electric Supply Corporation) along the left in the year 1945.|
|Old Picture of Victoria Memorial, Calcutta from Life.|
|An old picture showing the construction of Victoria Memorial Hall (now serves as a museum and a tourist attraction) going on.|
|The Imperial Museum, one of the oldest museums in the world on Chowringhee road, Calcutta in 1905.|
|View from the Imperial Museum, Calcutta - 1880's.|
|Elite Theatre (now Elite Cinema) in the year 1945.|
|Strand Road - 1885|
|An old picture of Curzon Gardens (the gardens infront of the Victoria Memorial Hall) - Calcutta|
|A 19th century photograph of the Ballygunge area, Calcutta|
|Grains Boats, Alipore bridge, Calcutta - Mid 19th Century ( Between 1850's to 1870's)|
|South Suburban College old building (renamed Asutosh College) in the year 1916-17.|
The college was established in the year 1916 under the stewardship of educationist Sir Ashutosh Mukherjee.
|Sir Stuart Hogg Market possibly in the year in between 1910 and 1930.|
|Hogg Market in the year 1905.|
|Sir Stuart Hogg Market (Hogg's market or Hogg Shaheber bajaar in Bengali) in the year 1945|
The market is now called New Market situated on Lindsay Street.
|La Martiniere Boys' School, Loudon Street, Calcutta in the year 1906.|
|An old photo of the New Market, Calcutta showing a meat stall.|
|A Vintage picture showing Chowringhee, Esplanade Crossing, Calcutta.|
|An old picture showing a street in Bowbazar.|
|1880 Calcutta Municipal Market (Hogg's Market)|
|A very old picture of Sudder Street probably older than 100 years.|
The picture showing The Sudder Court building on the left. The northern side of the Calcutta Museum is on the right. The second building on the left is the Methodist Chapel.
|Standard Chartered Bank in Chowranghee. Notice the horse driven carriages standing nearby.|
|Chowranghee in the year 1798. The Englishmen settled here in the mid-eighteenth century and built magnificent buildings. That is why Calcutta was also known as ''The City of Palaces".|
|Chowranghee and Up-to date store in the year 1905.|
Also see the Hall and Aderson, G F Kellener, & new (1908) building of the Bengal Club together.
|Thadious Mansions (now Park Mansions), Calcutta|
Built on the site of the former Doveton College, this large Edwardian residential block of mansions was erected by TM Thaddeus, the prominent Armenian philanthropist.
|Burial Ground Road (now Park Street) in the 1930's, Calcutta.|
Park Street has been the recreation zone for Kolkata people since the British era.
It was also the popular foreign tourist spot in Calcutta then and even now.
|Metcalfe Hall, Calcutta in the mid-ninteenth century.|
|The arrival of the Czarevitch (an heir apparent of a Russian czar) at Calcutta.|
|Currency Building, Calcutta in the year 1885.|
|Bank of Calcutta, later renamed Bank of Bengal (now State Bank of India) - founded 1806.|
|The Bengal United Service Club (Bengal Club) in Calcutta - 1865|
|The Bengal Club, Calcutta - old picture.|
|A Market place probably in Chowringhee, Calcutta.|
|A street scene in Calcutta in the past. People most probably having a tasty and popular street snack called PHUCHKA in West Bengal and Calcutta. In English it is called watery bread or crisp sphere.|
|Barrackpore in the mid nineteenth century taken by photographer Francis Frith between 1850's to 1870's.|
|A busy intersection showing somewhere in the North Calcutta area in the year 1926.|
|Bus stand near Maidan in the year 1920. Courtesy: Life Magazine.|
|An old picture of Grand Hotel, Calcutta.|
|Bengal United Service Club (founded 1845) in the year 1905.|
The club is said to be the handsomest and best appointed Club House in the East.